To Make Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World
To create an Environment where People can Know God; Grow in Faith; and Go into the World to Share the Love of Christ through Outreach and Missions
Our South Shore United Methodist Church History in Brief
The church now known as South Shore UMC is the product of several mergers involving seven predecessor congregations. As a result of mergers in 1926, 1927, and 1973, only one United Methodist Church now serves the South Shore community.
The South Chicago congregation, organized in May 1881, must be recognized as the first ancestral congregation, located at 91st Street and Exchange Avenue. This congregation grew and occupied several different locations in the neighborhood until it merged with the Hyde Park Methodist Church.
In 1926, the Hyde Park and South Shore churches merged to form the original South Shore Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1927, the Parkside and 77th Street congregations merged to form the John’s Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1973, the Southfield, South Shore and St. Johns congregations merged to form South Shore United Methodist Church, locating in the building formerly occupied by St. John’s congregation alone.
In 1978, the congregation celebrated it’s 50th Anniversary, commemorating the date the church located at 7350 S. Jeffery in 1928.
Many people have come through the halls of our church who have been faithful disciples of Jesus, seeking to help bring the love of Christ to our community and to the world.
We look forward to sharing what we have found at South Shore United Methodist Church with all who God sends to join us. Our history is not as important as our future. The best is yet to come!
The South Shore United Methodist Church
is a part of the Chicago Southern District of the United Methodist Church which serves the south side of Chicago including the Lake Front and Hyde Park areas, and the Southern suburbs